“Are your classes only online?”
“Will you be offering in-person classes?”
Since 2021, ASL Champs group classes are offered “virtually” via Zoom. While the majority seem to love the convenience and flexibility this option offers, we have recently fielded a few questions as to why this was still the case, so we wanted to explain this approach.
One of our goals at ASL Champs is to increase public fluency in ASL and especially to those within a Deaf person’s orbit (family, friends, co-workers). It was when we took our classes online that we saw that we could serve more people to further this goal than ever before.
We’ve had ASL students learn together who are:
- Friends and family members (that don’t live anywhere near each other)
- Co-workers taking classes on their lunch hours
- Part of corporate or remote groups that work in different offices
- Parents with young children, busy (or opposite) schedules and/or limited childcare
- Among those who benefit from the recordings and e-notes
So, we’re focusing on offering our online classes in an effort to maximize our resources. We believe we can best serve all our students this way at the moment, with the technology and convenience online classes have to offer.
Of course, ASL Champs’ home base is here in RVA and we have committed to offering and sharing regular, local in-person ASL immersion/practice opportunities!
We look forward to potentially offering some select in-person classes in addition to our online line up in 2024.
We appreciate you, our wonderful ASL Champs community, as we serve our RVA family and beyond!